Sunday, September 9, 2012

First Impressions

So, my first day in my Hispanic Cultures and Civilization's class was a lot of fun yet very humbling as well.  You wouldn't expect a class where you are introduced to be humbling but it was.  I've been introduced a lot and in many different settings, however, when they wanted to know more about me or wanted more information they could ask me and I could elaborate.  During introductions in class, I felt put on the spot and frustrated because I wasn't allowed to answer questions about myself.  My partner was suppose to answer the questions for me.  Or, when I was asked questions about my partner that I did not know the answer to, I felt unprepared and lacking in abilities that I thought I was good at, interviewing.

Thinking about the experience and what we were suppose to be learning in our class, it really made me think about how others may feel the same way.  Especially when their cultures are different, or their ideas, hopes and dreams, may differ from mine or society as a whole.  How do we overcome these differences and get to know others?  Knowledge helps us get past the cultural differences and barriers that impede us from making human connections within society.

What excites me about this class, is the opportunity it will bring to learn more about a society and culture that I totally love and admire.  I am anxious to grow as a person in knowledge and learning how to breach the barrier that is placed before me in my work and in my personal life.  As an employee at Adams Spanish Immersion school, I work with many Latino families and I am anxious to be more involved with them and learn more about their communities and culture and ways that I might be more helpful to them and their families and improve my skills as a parent resource coordinator and parent advocate.

My first impression of our class is that I will be working with a group of people that I will be able to learn from and have fun with in class.  I am excited for the next few weeks to explore and learn together.  When I was asking some people at my work for a good name for my blog, someone said name it ¿Que pasa calabaza?  Why?  Because it rhymes, it's in Spanish, and it's kind of fun.  That's what I want from this class, to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment