Monday, October 1, 2012

A Better Life

Along with reading a really great book, Translation Nation, this past weekend I watched the movie "A Better Life".  I have to say, besides the sobbing on the couch that I did all night, it was so thought provoking.  I had a really hard time watching it and thinking of all the people that are in this country illegally who just came here for a better life.  I was moved by this father that all he wanted was a better life for his son and he worked his butt off trying to get it.  However, even despite all his hard work, terrible things kept happening to him.  I think the relationship that he developed with his son throughout the movie was awesome!!  You were able to see these two different generations and how they felt about and saw things, and how in the end they were brought together and their love for each other was stronger. 
"Translation Nation" also has been showing me this side of immigrants that I just have never seen before.  I love how in the book, he states how this country began with all immigrants who were escaping a terrible life and looking for a better one.  And now, we as a nation are trying to keep those out that want the same.  It infuriates me that we have become this way.  It shouldn't have to be so hard to try and follow your dreams and improve your life.  You shouldn't have to die in a desert trying to get somewhere that may or may not have a crappy job for you.  Families shouldn't have to be separated.  I think that is the main thing that I am getting out of this class right now.  I am learning that I really need to open my eyes and really get to know people and what they are going through.  See things the way they see it and not just my views. Learning the history of the Latino people and what they are going through today has been very eye opening for me and has changed the way I view things now. 

1 comment:

  1. I told u it was an AWSOME movie! I should have told you to bring out the Kleenex Boxes out! ja ja ja!!

    ReplyDelete