Sunday, October 14, 2012

Spanish Language and Indian Food

Friday night I had the opportunity to have dinner with three teachers from work.  We made Indian food and just sat around and talked.  The reason I am counting this as one of my cultural experiences is because we sat around and talked in Spanish.  The three other people I had dinner with were Spanish teachers, one from Peru.  It was a really neat experience because the teacher from Peru, her little 5 year old girl was there with us.  She is in a Chinese Immersion school.  I think the reason I think this is so great, is because between the 5 of us, all of us spoke English, all of us spoke Spanish and there is one little girl who is learning to speak Chinese.  Did I ever think growing up I would be having an Indian  dinner while speaking Spanish?  No.  That is what is so great about the world of opportunities we live in.  Both my kids have had the chance to learn Spanish from kindergarten on, and my son has taken two years of Chinese.  I never had chances like this as a kid.  I am really thankful for the cultural diversities my kids are growing up with.  I am thankful that I have had the chance to learn Spanish, albeit bad Spanish, and that I work at a Spanish Immersion school.  I would never had guessed that I would have so many opportunities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment