Monday, October 8, 2012

Selena

I was able to watch the movie Selena this past weekend.  I think my most memorable quote was by her father, Abraham.  In one part, he is discussing with Selena and her brother what it's like being Mexican American.  He says, "  We have to be more Mexican than the Mexicans and more American than the Americans, both at the same time!  It's exhausting!" 
It made me really think about how I look at Mexican Americans.  I really hope that I don't expect that from anyone.  What does he mean more American than the Americans and more Mexican than the Mexicans?  
It seems sad that he has to try so hard to impress both groups so that he is able to fit into the society in which he lives.  Do we all do that?  I think at some point we all do things to fit in, but to be judged by two cultures so harshly and not really fit into either fully, has got to be challenging.  
What a tragic story, of a woman who had her whole life ahead of her and it was cut short the way it was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment