Thursday, October 4, 2012

How would it be?

In class on Tuesday night, we were asked to imagine what we would do if our government fell, all jobs were lost and the only place that people could go for jobs was south to Mexico.  What would we do, what would we take, what traditions would we take with us, etc?  I am not going to write what I wrote that night, it was to personal.  I will say, that that was a really hard question and very thought provoking.  What would I do?  It really made some of what I was already thinking become a little clearer.
See, last week when I watched the movie "A Better Life," I was really thinking about this very thing.  It is so hard to imagine facing all the trials you have to face to get here and then all the discrimination and low paying jobs someone gets when finally arriving here.
I was talking to a friend from Costa Rica this past weekend.  He is taking an English class that I am helping him with.  He is reading a book about the projects in New York and the trials families face there and the discrimination they face just by living there.  He was asked to relate it to his own life somehow.  He told me it wasn't hard to relate to.  He said no matter how hard he worked, or how much English he learned, he would always be judged and people would discriminate against him.  How sad! How sad that we live in a world like that.  And it's really hard for me to understand and figure out how I am feeling about it all.  Trying to imagine having to move to another country, what would I bring, what I would leave behind, what traditions I would take, is just a little to much for me.  It is a lot to think about.  I have a hard time imagining it and it opens up my mind to a whole new level of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment